Why this post? Because people are curious about their own sixth sense. The ‘I can’t do what you do’-remark is sometimes followed by the question: Can I do what you do as well? To a certain extent we all use our intuition and we can develop it further. What if you notice that you can’t get the answers with your five objective senses any more? There are ways to increase your awareness of the voice within or the inner guidance. The tips are at the end of this article, so if you want those, skip my experience which comes first.
First Listening to Others
Now how do you go about developing that? With me it all began in 1994 when I was stuck. Completely at a loss with myself. I did not like my job, my relationship was going downhill and I felt unhappy. What was it that I wanted, really wanted? I had looked at what others did and followed their advice. I read the self-help books and tried doing what they suggested. I tried so many different things. Except for recognizing one thing: I did not take the time to sit down, relax and listen to my inner voice. I had totally forgotten that it was there, waiting in silence for me to tune into it.
Sitting down and relax? LOL
I kept myself so busy at that time, especially in my mind. My body came along, I did not feel it any more. I wanted to control every second of my daily life, and the past and future. Hours on end every day I wanted to think of all the answers, keep busy about events that already happened or would happen in the future. I would prepare for all kind of conversations beforehand. I was insecure. Not all the time, most of the time. I forgot about feelings, I did not listen.
Sitting down and relaxing? Are you kidding? There was way too many things to do, control and think about. If I sat down I would only think up more things to do and the transistor radio in my head would turn the volume up. I would rather keep doing things to prevent myself from sitting down. And create even longer to-do-lists.
Time to Slow Down
I just did not listen, then I was involved in a bank robbery and eventually I had a burn out. 29 years old and I thought that my career was over and done with. Then my HR boss suggested that I slow down and take my time. He also said to relax and go within. I had really no idea what he meant. It was like talking Chinese to a Hungarian.
Some weeks of utter despair followed, I had not idea what to do with myself. I remembered how I walked around in Venice. Every day for hours, and sometimes I did not even remember where I walked. It was pure bliss some of the time, even when it rained. Anyway now I was living in Amsterdam and I decided to walk again. It got me fit and eventually it got me out of my head. The chatterbox silenced a bit and the thoughts moved to the background. There was no need to interfere and discuss my life with the thoughts in my head. There was not so much to do and think about anyway. I noticed how I could enjoy the walking, the sun, the rain and looking at people. I felt free, no strings attached. It was a lovely feeling and I felt on holiday in my own life.
Intuition in Real Life
All beautiful things come to an end. One day I was ready to go to work again. It went fine on the first day, the second day alas my chatterbox got back talking in my head and it soon got worse. I began worrying again. But now I was prepared. I was no longer willing to loose the feeling that I had, that I felt guided and connected. On holiday in my own life. I wanted to keep that in my life. The trick was simple, quiet the mind and get in touch with my inner voice and guidance.
It was almost as if I had find the phone number, to have both contact with the outer life and the inner life. In the years I used many ways to quiet my mind and listen to the intuition instead. All the ways that you can find to silence your mind just enough to make space for the silence behind it. Here is my-ever-to-be-finished-list-of-possibilities to tap into my intuition.
- Meditate. There is so many ways but most of them are easy to begin with. Sit down, close your eyes, take a couple of breaths. Relax your body and let the thoughts pass. Use the breaths to begin feeling where you are and what you feel and experience now. That is all. Drop your expectations and relax, you are doing fine. Meditation techniques and tips to relax the mind in meditation. The Meditation center offers tips and explain misconceptions on meditation.
- Do a guided visualization or guided meditation.
- Gardening and specifically weeding or tasks that keep your mind occupied.
- Ironing, piles and piles of it.
- Cooking. Concentrate on the cooking itself.
- Take a shower and sing a song, nobody can hear you!
- Draw or paint, not necessarily a big piece. Time flies when you are having fun.
- Drive a car over a long distance and concentrate on the road and your driving.
- Running, the flow begins when you immerse in the running itself. Surrender to the movement of the body, the steps and the breathing. Experience Flow.
- Recognize the fact that you are able to find the plug and the pole and that you can reconnect yourself and God.
- Listen to music and sing along with the songs that make you forget about time and space. Sometimes you need to put the music loud!
- Walk the dog in the forest. Or walk on your on if you have no dog.
- Brainstorm session with friends. I was surprised of all the good ideas that they had for my life.
- Trust the feeling or images or hunches that you get. Learn to trust them and over time you will now what and how your intuition talks to you. It is mostly in symbols that mean something to you. If you ask a question be ready to receive an answer that makes sense to you.
- There are many cards like the tarot or angle cards or whatever their name is. if you keep busy in your mind ask the cards. Just take one card out of the deck and see what you can make of it. Without referring to the accompanying book. The intuition is yours not out of a book.
- You can join the New Moon Journal Soul Collage of Michelle Lessirard. Every month you create your own Soul Collage. With some magazines, a scissor, glue and your intuition. Beautiful opportunity to see what you can create if you look at images, they speak to you. I am surprised every time about the richness of the symbolism in a collage that I make. At the time of making it doesn’t make sense at all.
- The Artist way is a book that got me into my own ways to be an artist in life. Inspiring and revealing how beliefs can refrain you from going anywhere. One of the exercise was to take time for me and do something nice. How hard was that? When I had the time I would do the laundry. Why should I do something to inspire myself? It was an eye opener and I saw how I dried up as a person, becoming smaller and smaller. Another book of her is Finding water. I have not read it but many stories are so similar to the Artist Way. This blog has people share their experiences during the process to find water.
- Many People Just Forget About Intuition
- Most People Call It Intuition
- Test Your intuition
- Match of Inner and Outer Reality